Sunday 21 July 2013

Handheld mirror: Plan A

So, here's the first proper test mirror I intend to make.  The plan:

- First surface mirror
- 3D printed PLA plastic substrate
- Off-axis mirror
- approximately 20cm x 20cm

Details inside
This seems to be the best way to silver a plastic surface.  The main problem is that the chemicals involved are fairly expensive (a few hundred dollars). Kickstarter?  In the meantime I'll look for alternatives.

One possible problem is 3D printer resolution.  If the printed curved 3D printed surface is as smooth as a lego brick I should be fine.  If it comes out ridged I'm going to need to think about techniques for smoothing the surface.  There are options, but if some sort of polishing/remelting/etc is necessary then precise fabrication will be quite a bit harder than hope it will be.

Still waiting for my PLA to arrive in the mail.  It's been a couple weeks since I ordered.  Odd.  I'm facing some delay before work can continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment